Document Analysis & Recognition (Lecture notes*)
Important announcement: In the unforeseen condition of the coronavirus outbreak, all lectures will go online and via the e-learning platform. Screencasts (narrated videos) will be uploaded consecutively to my homepage and the e-learning platform. Students are kindly requested to get in contact with me for any assistance.
Take care and stay safe
Announcement 2: An online quiz (10 marks) will be held on 22nd July (quiz duration 10 mins) at 8:30 am. Quiz topics will be Chapter1, Chapter2 (slides 10-15, 19-37), Chapter3 (slides 1-29), and related Matlab implementation.
Announcement 3: First quiz marks can be seen here.
Announcement 4: Insha Allah the second quiz would be a hands on (practical) programming test. The Matlab required topics would be till the end of Chapter 3 (spatial filtering). Quiz duration is 15 mins – starts 9:30 am. Please read the exam question carefully: you have to save the image before and after processing along with the Matlab code to a word document and then convert to PDF. The e-learning system will accept only one PDF submission. Please note that the system rejects any submission after the cutoff time. The quiz link will appear on the e-learning platform on the day of the test.
For this week 7:
- Color Image Processing (Ch 6 slides 1-40 only)
- Matlab implementation (mfile4, example4, mfile5)
- Image Compression (Ch 7 slides 1-15 + example5)
Quiz: take the quiz, click here.
- Frequency filtering:
Quiz: take the quiz, click here. Project submission: upload your project by clicking here.
- Matlab implementation of the above spatial filters for image enhancement (pdf, mfile)
- Image spatial filtering simple example (pdf).
Incase if you experience difficulty in submitting your assignment3 to the e-learning platform (e.g. server down), you can upload your assignment here (use class code: rklj3yu). Due date is Thursday, March 26th at 5:00pm.
- Chapter 4 screencasts can be viewed and downloaded from the following url links:
All 4 parts can be download in one piece. (large file 158MB)
Screencasts for image enhancement in spatial domain have been uploaded to the e-learning platform. You may also view and download the videos from the following links:
- Part 1 (Image smoothing and blurring – box and average filter)
- Part 2 (Noise removal – median filter)
- Part 3 (Image sharpening)
- Part 4 (Sobel filter and comprehensive example)
- Connectivity operations (pdf, video)
- Distance measures (city block, max, and Euclidean distance)
- Bit-plane slicing
- Numerical example on histogram equalisation.
(*Source textbook: R. Gonzalez, R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 4th Ed.,Prentice Hall, 2018)