Document Analysis & Recognition (Lecture notes*) [course syllabus]
Important announcement: In the unforeseen condition of the coronavirus outbreak, all lectures will go online and via the e-learning platform. Screencasts (narrated videos) will be uploaded consecutively to my homepage and the e-learning platform. Students are kindly requested to get in contact with me for any assistance.
Take care and stay safe
Announcement 1: The postponed 4 minute quiz will be held Sunday March 7th at 10:26 am Insha Allah. (Note: Make sure you hit the Submit button before cutt-off time, i.e. 10:29:59; Microsoft Forms does not save your answers)
Announcement 2: If the e-learning platform remains unresponsive, you can submit your assignment to the subject’s Google Classroom account here.
Announcement 3: Quiz marks can be seen here.
- Color Image Processing (Ch 6 slides 1-40 only)
- Matlab implementation (mfile4, example4, mfile5)
- Image Compression (Ch 7 slides 1-15 + example5)
Quiz: take the quiz, click here.
- Frequency filtering:
Quiz: take the quiz, click here. Project submission: upload your project by clicking here.
- Matlab implementation of the above spatial filters for image enhancement (pdf, mfile)
- Image spatial filtering simple example (pdf, pdf2).
Incase if you experience difficulty in submitting your assignment3 to the e-learning platform (e.g. server down), you can upload your assignment here (use class code: rklj3yu). Due date is Thursday, March 26th at 5:00pm.
- Chapter 4 screencasts can be viewed and downloaded from the following url links:
All 4 parts can be download in one piece. (large file 158MB)
Screencasts for image enhancement in spatial domain have been uploaded to the e-learning platform. You may also view and download the videos from the following links:
- Part 1 (Image smoothing and blurring – box and average filter)
- Part 2 (Noise removal – median filter)
- Part 3 (Image sharpening)
- Part 4 (Sobel filter and comprehensive example)
- Connectivity operations (pdf, video)
- Distance measures (city block, max, and Euclidean distance)
- Bit-plane slicing
- Numerical example on histogram equalisation.
(*Source textbook: R. Gonzalez, R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 4th Ed.,Prentice Hall, 2018)